Last night at the youth meeting, Pastor Henry* gave us a great Bible study method that I want to share with you. It’s a great method to use when you really want to delve into a Bible passage. I’m warning you though, it will require time, but it will be rewarding.
Don’t get it? No worries! I’ll do an example for you, using my favorite Bible verse. It comes out of Isaiah 40:31 taken from the New King James, it goes like this:
“But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.”
1. Pray over the passage,
Ask God to give you understanding, that He would make it a blessing to your life.
2. Paraphrase the passage,
Those who wait on the Lord will become strong again, you will soar like eagles, you can go the distance and will not fail.
3. Pull out the spiritual principles,
- Wait on God, don’t rely on your own strength
- With God’s help, I can go the distance
4. Pose Personal questions,
- Am I waiting on the Lord?
- Am I trying to rush into something on my own strength?
5. Plan obedience to the Holy Spirit’s leading,
- I’m going to wait for God’s guidance before I make a rash decision, like trying to get married when I’m still searching for a job!
There we go! See, even I learned something from this. Goes to show that when you are willing, God will speak to you. So, when you have the time, give it a try.
* name changed for privacy